Sarvangasana is originated from the Sanskrit word ‘Sarv’ that means entire, and ‘Anga’ means body parts. Sarvangasana yoga asana is one of the asanas that is believed to affect the whole body from tip to toe. The shoulder standing pose or Sarvangasana is believed to affect many internal organs and stimulates the flow of blood to the mind. Sarvangasana or shoulder stand is called ‘mother of yoga asanas’ because of its amazing roles in management and prevention of various ailments. Just like a mother brings harmony to the house and manages the entire household. In the same way, shoulder stands influence all the function of the body and create harmony in the body.
How to do Sarvangasana or shoulder stand:
Although in starting the technique of doing Sarvangasana seems a bit difficult and complicated but can be mastered with practice. Once you have a hand on its various health benefits of the asana can be experienced by the practitioner. It is best to practice this everyday to keep oneself hale and healthy.
Steps of Sarvangasana:
Follow these steps of sarvangasana or shoulder stand to get hold of it
- To start this asana lie flat on your back do not forget to keep your legs together and arms suspended on the sides.
- Slowly and steadily push your leg in an uplifting position now buttocks, and then back, place your elbow in such a position that it supports your body weight, stand and lie on your shoulder. Use your hands to support the torso and its weight.
- Take your time and get accustomed to the pose and bring your shoulder closer to each other. Now align your spine back muscle and upper body in one line. Make sure that your body weight is on your hands and shoulders, putting weight directly on the head or neck can be dangerous and lead to injuries.
- Point the outer part of soles outward and tight the muscle in a stretching action.
- Hold there and try to be in the position for another 30 to 60 seconds. Be easy and comfortable and try to breathe deeply and feel your neck is feeling the pain or stress come back to a neutral position immediately.
Benefits of Sarvangasana or shoulder stand:
Here are some amazing benefits of sarvangasana or shoulder stand you must look out
- Prevent much hormonal imbalance in female and helps in conditions like thyroid and polycystic ovarian disease
- Improves circulatory function and strengthens the functioning of the heart
- The regular practice of Sarvangasana increases the blood flow as well as a nutrient in the scalp and reduces the intensity of hair fall or premature greying of hair.
- Sarvangasana opens visuddha chakra, which regulates our creativity, expression, and communication.
- This asana acts on the muscle of head by relieving the tension within them hence relieving headache due to stress, tension headaches, and hypertensive headaches.
- Affects the digestive system and relieve many symptoms like constipation, stomach ulcers,
- As this asana improves the circulation in the peripheral organs as well as muscle it helps in relieving conditions like varicose veins and venous thrombotic
- Helps in activating the hippocampus and other parts of the brain which lead to better functioning as well as better sleep, therefore, helps in insomnia cases.
Sarvangasana or shoulder stands Precautions:
- While performing Sarvangasana, it is recommended not to bend your knees.
- Don’t try to overstrain your neck or move it.
- Your legs should be relaxed, don’t tense it as this will contract your legs and prevents the drainage of the blood.
- It is advisable to not bring your legs over the head while performing this yoga poses if it causes tension.
- Practice this pose under the supervision of an expert yoga teacher under 200-hour yoga teacher training in Rishikesh if you have certain health condition : Heart problems, pregnancy, slip disc, cervical spondylosis, acute thyroid problem, neck pain, menstruation, and hypertension.
Also read :